Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Japan ^_^  (Read 1777 times)

Tsuruyuki

• Niwashi
Hello from Japan ^_^
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »
Hello everyone!

Firstly, I am not Japanese, I just live there.  ;) My fiance is Japanese though. It occured to me while I am living here I should take up a Japanese art and learn it right from the source! Unfortunetly my Japanese still needs a lot of work, but I haven't given up. After considering several wonderful arts, I -think- I have settled on Japanese Gardens. After I visited Kamakura for the first time, I was just blown away. I decided I want to learn the methods and techniques used to create such a beautiful and serene place. I already love growing plants, trying to bring green back into my life sense I am without a garden for a while (studio apartment). Japanese Gardens we're originally a back burner project until we can buy a house with a garden, but I was reading about miniature gardens or dish gardens. I wondered, why can't the techniques and methods used for making Japanese gardens be applied to a miniature garden? I can squeeze those into our apartment, and still study and practace at the same time! And I think they would be adorable too.

It won't be easy, especially finding the right plants that look proportionate, but not impossible! I really want to work at it, and I am getting my first one started right now. I am thinking about blogging the project because I think it will be very interesting. I hope it will be a good source of learning for me, and I hope I can get lots of advice from this forum for the project. Someday, I want to create a full size Japanese garden I can sit/stand in, but that will be a long time away. For now, hopefully i'll have a successful mini Japanese garden to share!

Nice to meet you all, it's so great to meet others with a simular interest!  :D

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello from Japan ^_^
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »
Youkoso, Tsuruyuki-san.  Dozo youroshiku onegiashimasu.  Your excitement is wonderful.  Where in Japan are you?

don

Tsuruyuki

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:25 PM »
Kochira koso, dozo yoroshiku onigaishimasu Don-san  ;D (sorry for any mistakes!)

I am in Saitama prefecture, west of Tokyo  :)

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Tsuruyuki, welcome...
btw, many garden techniques originated from dish gardens...
enjoy the creation of your gardens                edzard

JBaymore

• Wilton, NH USA (Zone 4-5)
  • Niwashi
    • My New Hampshire Institute of Art Faculty Page
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Youkoso Tsuruyuki-san.  Hajimemashite.  Dozo youroshiku onegiashimasu.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with your interests.

best,

..................john

Japanese