Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Greetings from Jando  (Read 8789 times)

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
Greetings from Jando
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:11:56 AM »
Hi all,

It is great to see and read all the posts by old friends and hopefully new ones.  Thank you Michael for starting the forum, it makes my morning coffee soooo much more enjoyable.  I have already had a few good chuckles reading some of the posts.

Let me introduce myself.  My name is June and I live in northern Illinois, USA.   Several years ago I had a windfall after overpaying UNCLE SAM and thought this is my chance to finnally start construction of my Japanese Garden.  Many of you may remember me, I am the gal who picked your brains for information trying to create a Japanese inspired garden and have learned so much from many of you.  You know who you are and I offically thank you for all the past help.  To get back to my garden, it took several months but finnally the ground work was completed and I have been enjoying working and improving the garden for the past 4 years.  Mistakes are many, but I am learning and slowly the garden is evolving.

I am now a new retireree and just returned from wintering in Florida. The first thing I did when I got back was check to see if this new forum was up and running.  )))))))) I happily found it was and I am looking forward to the lively discussions here about Japanese Gardening.  I am now heading out to the garden for spring clean up and you may hear me crying over the deer damage from winter, but then I will smile because over winter a miracle occured in the garden.  After years of trying to grow moss on my boulders I was delighted to find Mother Nature has the majority of them covered in green.  Does life get any better?

Cheers, Jando  (June)

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Greetings from Jando
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
Welcome to mJG Jando!!!!

The first member to sign up has returned from the tropics!!!!!!!!! 

I sincerely hope that we can continue to introduce coffee to your nasal cavities in the wee hours.

Kick back, enjoy the vibe.  With the advent of spring I am thinking we will have more discussions relative to plants and plantings.  For example, I still have to scalp my sword ferns before I get too many fiddleheads.  Many things to do......

Michael

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Michael.  My imagination is running wild with visions of you and your sword ferns.

Enjoy your scalping.  ;))))))

Cheers June

Richard

• Niwashi Hyaku
  • Ikkyu - having no destination I am never lost.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
Hello Jando.

Congrats on the making of a Japanese garden : )

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks Richard, but I smile as I say my garden is only Japanese inspired.  I would do a great diservice to you all if I claimed it was a Japanese Garden.  When I started the project I thought I was creating a Japanese Garden but it didn't take long to realize that was a lofty dream. I do accept your congrats though because my garden gives me great pleasure.

Cheers  Jando

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
Hi June,

good to see you here, looking forward for your comments on the forum. Is it spring there? Can you start the gardening?

Andrea

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 06:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Andrea, and yes I was out in the garden yesterday.  All my japanese peonies have been eaten and even my evergreens have alot of damage along with the Rhods and Azaleas.  I could go on but its too depressing.  The neighbors tell me we have a herd of about 12 deer in the neighborhood.  Know of any hunters???????

Cheers  June

Richard

• Niwashi Hyaku
  • Ikkyu - having no destination I am never lost.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:27:47 AM »
Hi

While walking the landscaped properties of Westchester County NY I often came across discarded ornamental shrubs . These ornamentals had been deer eaten so much so they totaly lost thier landsape value having little leaves and loss of soft juvenile stems . Like yourself many were Rhodies and Azaleas .

So I would see the new safer plantings such as Boxwoods and Ilex procumbens nana and such that had been installed each new spring . And along the perimeter ofthe property along the woodline were the discarded Rhodies and azaleas. They were simply sitting atop the sodden wet spring leaf piles of last year from the mow and blow companies . Root balls almost non exhistent to make due for ease of carrying them into the woods ..tossed like shotput probably .. whoosh right out of the wheelbarrows.

Anyhow . One such day I was walking a property and decided to show the homeowner how specail his property was . ITs potentiality. He was kinda excited for he had just spent many many thousands on re newing his landscape and thought I could give that extra OOMPH..  creative spark to finalize his yard .

First thing I did was walk into the woods to a rocky outcropping and studied the boulders . I hefted what seemed to be a 160 lb rock looking like a Zen Temple boulder of a more modern avate garde feel.  Sharp angles , flat faces like picasso's cubism.  Was the most indirect representation of a mountain I could find yet its height at about 3 feet tall and its faces was perfect .  I really liked it.

Placing this stone next to some evergreen ferns that were gowing haphazerdly by the house and luckily not torn out by the landscape company > I simply smiled .   There was a small patch of gravel left from a walking path having a little moss growing over it and this fern and the rock I set .

I explained the rock thoroughly to the gentleman. Its nature..the artform of Suiseki and Kare San Sui and how to appreciate the rock. He was impressed and wanted to know if there were more to build a garden using such stones. So I took him to the rocky outcropping in his backyard woods some 200 yards out . As I rock climbed the outcropping he stood there on the precipice watching as I explined what rock was artistic and what was a filler rock. What appeared bueatifull and what appeared simple .

He was eastatic !! < however thats spelled : )

Now heres the punch line . I'm a lil long winded .

As we walke out of the woods crossing over that intermediary line where landscape companies blow last ears leaves int othe woods off the acre or more of lawn space. This zone is often the unwalked line . For fear of ticks , lime disease and simply for the fact its the woods.where garbage is tossed such as useless plants thrown here and there to die .

I came across the 4 foot tall Rhodie trunk - large main stem and only a few twigs left to its shape.  The rootball was of orange clays like Southern states such as Virginia ..really red clay . The roots were cropped by the shovel so near its vital trunk.  Yes ? On a single awkwardly twisted bent stem were some leaves having survived the dessicating cold winds of winter . And there were a few flower buds swollen enough to impress me .

In my mind I saw that Scholar Literati of all Rhodies ! !   That refined taste of minimalism in an ornamental shrub that requires nothing of my hand for it was butchered by another , hacked whacked and deer eaten severely .

My eyes narrowing  and my pursed lips and astute expression of silence indicated to the homeowner what he surmised as my " Like Feelings and Emotions of dissapointment , anger and agression towards deer "

He explained what a shame he lost so many ornamentals to the deer . That he himself has tossed shrubs like this into the woods .

I grabbed the main stem unceremoniously and hefted the Rhodie up towards my waist ...to match this mans attitude  standing by me . As if I was in silent agreement.

I said," Its alive . Lets go back to the rock"

There I placed the last vestiges of a Rhodie severely deer eaten..root cropped and delimbed for ease of carrying in a wheelbarrow .

Turning the rhodies root ball untill that single twig with leaves and some flower buds cross the foreground of the boulder mountians front face. 

I pressed my lips together pushing them out like an old horse getting the nape of his neck rubbed by a caring hand .
I was happy .

Leaving behind David Slawsons " Secret teachings of the art making Japanese Gardens " < not sure of exact title . Along with a few other books this man was left really excited at the nature of bueaty changing before him and how its expressed and used . We had just sharred an experienc together . It was now up to him to convince his wife the same. She likes English cottage style gardens .

I had fun that day and thanx to the deer lending me a hand in that age old Japanese garden style of recycled objects , items brought into the garden reused ...I felt good . A productive day.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »
Cool Story Richard, but I for one will not add to the pile of discards.  The deer tend to sheer them into a ball shape and they will fill in over the spring and look great, but I do loose all the spring flowers. Instead I hope my neighbors will take pity on me and allow a fence, which would enclose the garden and add to its charm.

Cheers  June

Jack

• Niwashi
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 07:57:28 PM »
Hey June! -- great to see you posting here. It's starting to feel more and more like the old place - before the 'riots' 

Sorry to hear about the marauding deer. Tamamono on the boundry line isn't a look I'd be too thrilled with either. I've heard that sprinkling coyote urine on the shrubs/ curb/ front door  is a good deterrent ( or was it bear urine)..  though I may be confusing this with something else completely... say, a Morris dancer's marriage ceremony..(?!)

I guess I'd be hard pressed to choose the lesser of the two evils. From what I've learned recently, you're lucky indeed not to have mountain beaver!  ;D

Perhaps keep a capsicum spray handy for your neighbor... just in case it's her taking midnight cuttings and blaming Bambi  :P

See you on the forum : )

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Jack and advice.  We do get coyotes in the neighborhood, but how do I do I get them to pee in the
bottle??????????? :o ;D

Cheers June

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
We do get coyotes in the neighborhood, but how do I do I get them to pee in the
bottle?

Employ them.

Michael

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:49:32 PM »
Hi June

my good hunter is here, my son. But I can give you recipes for game meat!

Andrea

Lee

• Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
    • Lee Schneller Fine Gardens, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
There's this stuff called "Tree Guard" that I've been using for over ten years.  It's nontoxic but extremely bitter.  You spray it on, it's not water soluble (so you don't have to reapply it constantly), it has no odor and it will prevent deer (and woodchucks, squirrels, etc.) from eating arbor vitae, tulips, and every other type of woody or herbaceous plant.  I've used it on all sorts of plants without any negative consequences.  I can't understand why it's not the hands-down choice of every gardener.  The only drawback is that it's in a latex base, so you have to thoroughly rinse the sprayer with soapy water every time after use or it seizes up.  And wear rubber gloves.

Welcome back, June!

Lee

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »
Thanks guys,for a morning smile. And Lee I think I did try Tree Guard and they ate it off but maybe it was another brand, I have tried several.  I have small fences around all my Japanese maples and would like to take them down soon.  So I will try Tree Guard and see if it works. Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Cheers  June