Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Salt Lake  (Read 2572 times)

wanwien

• Niwashi
Salt Lake
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
Hi all,

I am from Salt Lake, Utah.  Always admire of Japanese culture and especially Japanese garden.  I have a large backyard with lot of potential and want to build the Japanese garden.  I hope to get lot of good tips and advices here.  Thanks.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Salt Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Always excited to see a new Japanese garden started!

JBaymore

• Wilton, NH USA (Zone 4-5)
  • Niwashi
    • My New Hampshire Institute of Art Faculty Page
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
Welcome.  It will be interesting to see what you do in that climate.  Are you down in the city proper or up in the foothills?

best,

................john

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum, another opportunity to learn more and share.  Good luck and we will look forward to watching your garden develop.

June

wanwien

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
JBaymore,

I am in West Valley area about 15 minutes driving from the foothill area.

This semi arid climate here is quite the challenge to develop the Japanese garden.  I have the hard time just to find the materials and plants.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
A Japanese gardener would not use plants that did not do well in the area.  There are a couple of us that garden in arid climates that might be able to help you with plants and material selection when you are ready.  There is a list of hot & dry tough plants for Japanese gardens on website that might work for you - maybe at least a good place to start.  ; )

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Don's comment reminds me of a story I was recently told about a local Japanese garden here in Minnesota.  When the garden was first built, it contained Japanese maples and flowering cherries native to Japan.  Unfortunately, they didn't survive in our climate.

The garden was later replanted. The Japanese maple trees were replaced with Amur Maples (Acer ginnala), then Korean Maples (Acer pseudosieboldianum).  The cherries were replaced with Redbuds (Cercis canadensis 'Minnesota Strain'). These were local-hardy versions that thrived in our climate. It's still a Japanese garden even though the plants may not be typically found in Japan.

In addition to taking Don's very good advice and the list he's provided, you may also take a scouting trip to a reputable nursery/garden center near where you live.

Welcome to the forum!
Mark

Japanese