Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from south Alabama  (Read 2020 times)

cath

• Niwashi
Hello from south Alabama
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Hello, I am new to your site. My name is Cathy and I am from south Alabama. I recently visited a couple of gardens in my area and it has really peaked my interest in starting a Japanese Garden of my own. I realize this will be a very long process, as I am starting from stratch in a 150x150, wooded area, but I have time and look forward to the journey.
I will be ordering some books this weekend and look forward to reading previous threads, to get a better idea of where and how to begin.
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your community here.

John

• Niwashi
Re: Hello from south Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
Hi Cathy, Welcome aboard!  I'm quite new here myself but I think you've come to the right place.  There seems to be a high knowledge level here and people who are willing to share that knowledge. 

cath

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
Hi John, thank you for the welcome. I see from your own introduction, that we are just about at the same starting point, clearing some land.
I hope to work with a lot of what we already have in place, azaleas and pines, and add what we need.  I wish you well, in creating the garden of your dreams
and hope you post pics along the way.
Take good care and have a lovely weekend.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:29:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Cathy.  I know you have already visited the Resource section of the site.  How much of that have you checked out?

cath

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Hi Don, thank you. I am working my way thru all of the threads. Are there any particular subjects that you would suggest I check out sooner rather than later? I realize many of you have been studying Japanese Gardens for quite some time and I feel like I have so much to learn before I even begin. While reading a discussion on rocks earlier, it occured to me if I pay close attention, I will get a lot more out of this than just a lesson in gardening.

JBaymore

• Wilton, NH USA (Zone 4-5)
  • Niwashi
    • My New Hampshire Institute of Art Faculty Page
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
Welcome Cathy.

150 x 150 sounds like a nice challenge and opportunity.  Have fun.

best,

................john

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »
Cathy, if your garden is adjacent to a structure, a good starting place is the article on Garden and Architecture by Chris Hall.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
Welcome Cathy,  Alabama is such a beautiful state, I look forward to seeing your garden evolve.

June

cath

• Niwashi
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Thank you Don. It not adjacent to the house. It is a fenced area behind the backyard that was wooded when we moved here 5 yrs ago. We've been clearing some of the pines and underbrush little by little. I will try to get some pics loaded onto photobucket and share here, so you can see what we will be working with.

And June, thank you for the welcome. I will be sharing pictures as we go along.