Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Konbanwa  (Read 2262 times)

John

• Niwashi
Konbanwa
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
Hello, all.  I'm John from the southeast US in the state of Georgia.  I am just starting a new Japanese garden so at the moment there is nothing much to look at as I'm just clearing land.  We have quite a deer problem here so will be fencing the entire project.  We have an abundance of fairly large bamboo here so I'm thinking a privacy fence in the Kenninji style.  I'll post photos as I progress.  I am retired and other than working on the yard and garden to a fair amount of wood turning.  -John

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Konbanwa
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »
Sounds like a great project.  Welcome to the forum, John.

Don

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
John welcome, how large an area are you working with?  I look forward to seeing what you are up too.

June

eSearing

• Niwashi
    • eSearing.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
Welcome John. Where in GA are you. I would love to watch your garden develop.  I am in Suwanee/Johns Creek area.

JBaymore

• Wilton, NH USA (Zone 4-5)
  • Niwashi
    • My New Hampshire Institute of Art Faculty Page
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
Welcome John.  Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

I'm in the northeast USA.

best,

...........john

Josh

• Niwashi
    • Grand Island Serene Gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Deer and rabbits can be a real problem, how much area are you actually fencing?
Joshua M. Smith, PhD

John

• Niwashi
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:46 AM »
     Thanks for the warm welcome!  The fence will be roughly 40'X40'.  About 150 years ago (or more) this area was a huge cotton plantation and there are terraces still evident that were used to flatten the land and increase production.  One of those terraces runs diagonally through the garden and I thought I'd leave it to add interest (and an excuse to build a bridge).  We are located in Tyrone, GA which is a very small town to the southwest of Atlanta.  The closest town of any size is Peachtree City.