Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Saskatoon Canada  (Read 3815 times)

Healeyjet

• Saskatoon, SK Midwest Canada
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Hello from Saskatoon Canada
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
Hello, my name is Ward and I am from Saskatoon, SK Canada. Our zone is Zone 2B.  I have no experience in constructing or working in a Japanese Garden.  My wife and I were in Portland about 5 years ago and fell in love with Japanese Gardens.  Since then, on all of our vacation or trips, we try to hit a local garden if we can. We are beginning the design process for a Japanese style garden in our back yard.  We have an area that is approx. 40' x 90' to use. I will hopefully be enlisting the help of Edzard if he can find the time to give us a hand.  My wife and I are very hands on and love gardening and garden maintenance.  ( No I won't come over and weed anyone's vegetable garden).  I feel that for a long while I will be taking away from this site far more valuable information than I will be giving. It is my hope that someday I will be able to offer up an idea or suggestion for some other person on this forum. Thanks for providing this forum for us.  It is winter in Saskatoon for another couple of months yet and this forum is a little bit of spring everyday for me.
Ward

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hello from Saskatoon Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »
Welcome to mJG Ward!!!

This is what makes this place pretty neat.  I actually had to look up where exactly "Saskatoon" was located.  Now I know.  The love of Japanese Gardening knows no boundaries or climate zones.

Enjoy your time here. 

Michael

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
Hi  Ward,  yes, I know some of Ted Harrison work, wonderful colors, unique style. I haven't seen the one you mentioned.

Andrea

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:39:46 PM »
Andrea, is is quite beautiful.  We purchased it about 20 years ago.  It is sort of what started off my interest in things Japanese.

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:56 AM »
Hi Ward 
     thank you to bring my attention to this picture! Mt. Fuji is very special to me too, my father has had a  beautiful book about the woodblock prints of Hokusai ( A Hundred Views of Mt.Fuji), printed maybe 60-70 years ago. We grew up with wonderful books and music, not with the TV.

Andrea

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »
Hi Ward,

I like the picture so much, I searched for it, found it in one gallery. Now I just have to come up with an excuse, why I can't live without it!

Before you mentioned , I haven't seen this picture, I liked T.H.'s work, but never felt the urge to own one. I think that Mt.Fuji did the difference, the magic!

Andrea

Healeyjet

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:45:17 PM »
Annie (my wife) and I bought Fuji San in the spring of 1988, before we were married and hardly dating long. We went to an art gallery in Calgary, AB.  Annie had seen Harrison's work on a trip to Canada's north, I had never seen his work before.  I couldn't leave the gallery without buying it.  We each put half of the cost on our credit cards and we were off.  We have never discussed what we would have done with Fuji San had we never gotten married. It hangs on the wall above our sofa.  I only wish I had some way of knowing what the Japanese writing in the corner says.  Does anyone here know how to read Japanese?  :)

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »
Hi  Ward,

I'm sure that Lee (look her up on the list) can, and of course Yama-san, Mike, but he is not listed, but visits the forum often.  Maybe start a new subject with the question and post the picture there.
Or e-mail to T.H. or go to a Japanese restaurant to ask.

Do you remember the price? Just curious!

Andrea

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
I asked the gallery, they said that the image on the painting is HARRISON in Japanese.