Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Lee  (Read 3489 times)

Lee

• Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
    • Lee Schneller Fine Gardens, Inc.
Hello from Lee
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »
My name is Lee and I'm sure many other members of now-defunct JG forums join me in thanking Michael for creating this new place for us to exchange information and ideas!

Hmmm, well, uh, self-introduction.... OK.  My interest in Japan started when I was an exchange student there in 1974 (I grew up in very small towns and had never been on a plane before) and has progressed through many phases, including living in Japan, majoring in Chinese language and Asian History, and working as a technical Japanese translator.  Later on, I started a garden design/build business and began to do Japanese gardens, traveling back to Japan many times to study and visit gardens.  During the course of all this I'm sure I've committed almost every possible gaijin-related faux pas.

I'm very interested in Japanese garden history and read a lot about it.  The most exciting thing I've learned during the past couple of years is how to Google stuff in Japanese.

I attended the Kyoto University of Art and Design Intensive Seminar in 2003 and I subscribe to Niwa, an excellent (if expensive) Japanese-language magazine about Japanese gardens (full of fabulous photos --- helpful even if you don't read Japanese).  I love to buy Japanese gardening and history books and have stockpiled quite a few.

I'm interested in discussing JG history, techniques, design, etc., and I'm so glad there will finally be a place again where we can exchange this type of information.

Thanks, Michael!

Lee

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
Re: Hello from Lee
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »
Welcome to mJG !!!  I hope you find the accomodations comfortable here.  Relax and have a good time. 

Folks, Lee has some serious chops and is a welcome addition to our community.  A pillar of knowledge and reason.

Michael   

Yama

• Professional Member
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:28:44 PM »
Hello from Georgia.
 My name is yama short of yamakami ,  means top of mountain. but Yama has more meanings in sunskrit .  I kind like it. ;D
I am learning Buddhism and history of Japan , Korea and China and anything related Japanese garden. I reguraly attend Chinese Pure land dojo and Korean temple.
I came to USA 1974,getting old but not improving English yet. Getting old but I still able to walk 260 Lbs guy on my shoulder ;)

Michael
 Thank you.        .................................yama

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:40:55 PM »
Yama-sama, thank you for coming to this forum.  I have missed your words.  Please do not loose your strength to carry fat man.  You may need to carry me some day!

Mata!

Michael

• Administrator
  • Niwashi Hyaku
  • Be good and you are good.......play nice
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »
Yama-sensei;

No, thank you.   Irasshaimasen!!!!!  Welcome to mJG!!!!!!

Michael