Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Houston, Tx  (Read 2329 times)

dollarz81

• Niwashi
Hello from Houston, Tx
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Hi everyone. My name is Cody and I've been snooping around here for a while getting ideas for a garden that is in the planning stages.

The first project is a koi pond that is currently in progress.
Here are some renderings.

I have been collecting a few Japanese maples and a weeping cherry tree. This is the latest tree. Not sure of the cultivar but it is huge and beautiful. I will post more pics after it finished blooming.
I paid $500 for this tree.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello from Houston, Tx
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Cody.  Your design is nice!  I would think that flagstone on the floor of a koi pool in Houston would be a waste of money?  The floor is sure to turn green in our sunny state. Is your skimmer at the lea side of the pool?  If not you might think of adding another in the corner where the dias meets the outer wall.

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
Cool design Cody,
Do you have prior experience with koi? At one point I was thinking about a koi pond of my own. Is that a bottom drain to make cleaning out the waste easier?  I've seen that suggestion on a few sites. The other thing I've seen recommended were built-in hiding places to protect fish against predators.
I should really suggest that others on this site with real koi knowledge (I don't) chime in with their experience.
I really like your rendering by the way. It's much easier to determine the strengths and weaknesses of a design with a drawing that's as good as yours is.  Well done!

Mark

etehiver

• Minnesota - zone 4
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
Cody,
I forgot to ask- what kind of Japanese maple are you showing in the photo? It must be a pretty special one. We'll all look forward to seeing more photos as it starts to leaf out.
Mark

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cody, I visit Galveston often to see my daughter and her family so they are not far from you.  Very nice design of your pond. Contemporary yet classic in design.  I can see your maple has a very nice shape and also wonder what variety you have.

Good luck and I hope you will share photos as your project evolves.
June

dollarz81

• Niwashi
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
No progress has been made on my pond. I've been busy with work. To answe a few questions, no there won't be any flagstone on the pond floor. The bottom drain pulls any junk off the floor and into the filter before it starts to break down.

And here are some updated pics of my maples.

I have a few more that have not leafed out yet.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
It is so nice to see photos of spring color.  It is cold a dreary here in norther IL.  Your red maple will be special, very cool shape as I stated above.  Good luck, and don't work so hard so you can get your pond started.  Oops, your pond will take lots of hard work, its your day job that is getting in the way that needs to lighten up.  Smiling, of course without that day job we wouldn't see your pond come to fruition, what a catch 22.

Good luck,

June
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:22:49 AM by Jando »