Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: where y'at from new orleans  (Read 2262 times)

nola

• New Orleans-zone 9
  • Niwashi
where y'at from new orleans
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
Winters are usually mild here, but we get hard freezes sometimes. I'm kinda wary of tropical plants. Summers can be hot, so they can be rough on japanese maples. My house was flooded during Katrina, so we tore down and rebuilt. All the trees were wiped out, so we are starting from scratch. I have begun a screen of viburnums along the edges of the back yard and am interested in additional treatments that will help to obtain that sense of peace one gets in a japanese garden.

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: where y'at from new orleans
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Nola!  I dont have any idea what it must be like to loose everything, but i admire you for starting over.  I believe you will find lots of good info here for your rebuild and your garden. Have you already rebuilt the house?

nola

• New Orleans-zone 9
  • Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »
Yes! We found an architect who does modern design. I think the japanese style of landscape will complement the house. If I can figure out how to attach pictures I'll attempt to show.

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:21:46 AM »
Welcome Nola,  I have a pretty good idea of what you have been through.  Hurricane IKE hit my daughters house in Galveston TX.  So we both have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving after the rebuilds.  I helped them rebuild inside and out.  They were lucky and had an older home that was built like a armored tank, so the frame was intact but almost everything inside was replaced along with new siding and roof.  They are still having problems with growing trees since the polluted water sat on the majority of their yard for a while.  Do you have to worry about that? I would hate to see you invest in plant material and have it die.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, glad to hear you are back in your home and look forward to seeing photos.  And you asked where we were at, I am from northern IL. almost at the Wisc. border.

June
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:25:41 AM by Jando »