Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello! Jonesboro, AR  (Read 1929 times)

chloeasha

• Niwashi
Hello! Jonesboro, AR
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Hi guys!  I'm Julianna, joining from (well soon-to-be-from) Jonesboro, AR.  We're moving there because my husband got into ASU for his PhD.  We've rented an apartment which we will move into on the 13th, and it has a 10x3 north-facing balcony.  He and I disagree quite often on gardening design, but we did agree that we would like a Japanese-style garden on the balcony.  The uncluttered and clean lines of design should lend itself well to a small space.  The only issue I am having is working with the no-direct-sunlight-north-facing-bright balcony I have.  

Jonesboro is a solid zone 7 (USDA) with a serious heat index.  The bright north side may end up being better than I imagine.  I'm originally from Las Vegas, so I am familiar with how light requirements change when the heat intensity rises :)

I've been scoping our bamboo, conifers, japanese maples, etc. and look forward to looking at your forum and seeing what others are doing and talking about.  

Julianna

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
Re: Hello! Jonesboro, AR
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
Welcome Julianna!  There is a topic on balcony gardens somewhere in the main forum.  If you cant locate it, i will see if i can find it for you.  That might be a good place to start.

chloeasha

• Niwashi
Re: Hello! Jonesboro, AR
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »
I found it!  Thank you for the suggestion.  I did a search and got quite a few topics that were super-helpful.  I am working on a plan now to bring forth for inspection by the knowledgeable ones here shortly :)