Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Fence  (Read 11879 times)

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Fence
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
For years I was looking at fences to replace our old fence. We repaired for many years because we liked the gray, weathered cedar. No more. A big storm killed the fence beyond repair. Yesterday I noticed this fence, loved it. It is not traditional "Japanese fence", but have a nice feeling for that. I loved the idea how they varied different settings. It is a big house in an area where usually no fence at the front, but this house is on the corner, now  they have more privacy. The high fence part gives cover for the "meditation patio" I made photo of.
Andrea

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
Re: Fence
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
more pictures

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
more

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
more

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
more

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
more

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
more

Jando

• Northern Illinois
  • Global Moderator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Tuski-Yama Garden
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 05:48:41 AM »
Andrea, that is one great looking fence.  And it also looks like it would last for many years, which is really important.  I think it would work beautifully for you.

June

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
I think it would work also.  I would tend to use a roof-like cap on all of it to tie the different styles together.  The color also helps it stick as well. The base stones would be better if they were burried half-way i think.

BTW, this is not a cheap fence!

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
too bad, I can't afford it and be honest, I don't need such an elaborate fence. I just posted it for everybody to enjoy it.

Our situation with the fence turned into very urgent, today early morning a black bear visited us, ate all the bird feed, tried the big red glass hummingbird feeder too,  climbed over the gate and now that is finished  too.
We need 70' long fence on a gentle slop with one gate,  I will use the wide board, horizontal, only the gate with the nicest pattern. A very simple roofed gate, just two boards for the roof. I hope that will be finished in Aug-Sept. and I can post pictures.
Andrea

don

• So. Texas
  • Administrator
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • Japanese Gardening Organization
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
Andrea!  I am without words...

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
This is the sketch for the gate from the backyard to the back lane. We don't use it often but we see it from the dining-room.
What is the correct proportion?  Is there any rule or just the feeling as we look at it? Some gate look too tall or too bulky.
This has to be a light, the roof part almost like the roof on a fence, just to give a nice closure.

Measurements:  a. the height of the fence  5'
                      b.  the height between the fence and the gate   1'
                      c.  the height between the top of the gate and the roof,  2'
                      e.   width of the gate      5'

Questions:        a+b+c= shouldn't be more than 8' , is it OK?
                       d. less than 1' or 1' ?
                       f.  1,5 ' or less?

any help would be appreciated.
Andrea

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
it is the view from the window, DH. is holding the part of the old, broken gate to see the height. It was 8'.

edzard

• Garden Professionals
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • fuzei
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »
Andrea.. how tall are you?

is the gate to be intimate space, private gate, or public gate, 'outside space'. Back alley or front roadway?         edzard

kobold

• Vancouver, BC
  • Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:48:16 AM »
Edzard,

thank you for the questions, to think about points.  First of all most of the people on the Forum aren't perfectionist like you. Few of us can create a " Japanese garden" in the purest form. I know from my experience that I won't. What I like from the Japanese style is the simple lines, harmony with the plants and rocks mixed with my " feeling good about my garden". As I seen pictures posted on the forum, there are many gardens people are proud of and you won't approve it. It is OK.

Why I asked about the proportions? I've seen lots of different gates, many of them  "just didn't look right".  I would like to copy something from a book, but I'm not willing to spend ten thousands on a bamboo fence or put a gate inside my yard where it just would look stupid.  I need the gate at the top of the garden, going out to the back lane. We never come in through that gate, just go out to do some pruning or watering the  plants outside.

Why we admire the Japanese style? It evolved during hundreds of years, followed tradition and observation, religion and myth, practice,  necessity  and needs until it became perfect.  You have to know all the rules because you are a professional garden designer. It is hard for you to see something what isn't perfect. 

I never claimed to have a Japanese garden. I will have this fence because I like the style and the color. And I need a gate to go to the back alley with no more road from it, in a cul de sac, next to the ravine and trees, bears, coyotes...etc.

BTW I'm  165 cm tall and shrinking.

Andrea

Japanese