Japanese Gardening Organization

AMAZON SUPPORTS JGO!

Make sure your Amazon purchases benefit JGO and its programs. Enter "Japanese Gardening Organization" here: http://smile.amazon.com/about.

resources for japanese gardening 日本の園芸

Author Topic: Hello from Eugene, OR  (Read 524 times)

Carleh

• Niwashi
Hello from Eugene, OR
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
We've decided to remove all our grass in the front yard - no more mowing!  Will bring in lots of windswept rock, grasses, a few trees.  After looking at the plan we decided to have a rock garden and that led me to this site.  I began learning bonsai about 15 years ago - and hope to bring some of that knowledge to our project.  Satsuki Azalea I've been working on for a few years

vijama

• Espoo, Finland
  • Niwashi
Re: Hello from Eugene, OR
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:56:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum Carleh,

Rock garden is a nice idea. Have you already lots of books about this topic? If not look at the A JAPANESE GARDEN HANDBOOK, which you can find here. Also other books are referred in http://www.japanesegardening.org/site/publications/.

I have a rock garden also. One thing to remember is that it is not maintenance free. If you do not remove the rubbish weekly/daily, then a more thorough cleaning is needed at least once per year.

Carleh

• Niwashi
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 01:38:19 AM »
Thank you very much for the information - most helpful!

Best,

Carl

mslater

• Niwashi Hyaku
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:41:36 AM »
Welcome! I live in Salem and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Carleh

• Niwashi
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
Appreciate your letting me know and will post progress in a few months.  We did contact the Portland Japanese Garden and learned that the rock they now use for the dry gardens comes from Oregon Decorative Rock in Beaverton. 

Michaelinseattle

• Board of Directors
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • MichaelsGarden
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
Carl,
Welcome to the forum!

K.T. Cannon-Eger

• NAJGA
  • Niwashi Gohyaku!
    • US Japanese garden blog
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
What a beautiful Satzuki azalea.
Welcome to the Forum.
You may wish to look at how some gardens display bonsai within or adjacent to a rock garden. Check out the Japanese Garden at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have a lovely web site.
The Huntington added a new bonsai garden about 6 years ago. Very nice display shelves.

K.T.

Carleh

• Niwashi
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »
Thank you and I appreciate the information.  The garden at Frederik Meijer Gardens is beautiful!

Japanese